In 1866 this area was given to the city to be used by farmers selling their products. For sale were hay, wood, live poultry, eggs, hand churned butter, farm smoked hams and bacon, and fruits and vegetables in season. Horese and mules were traded. Here was the city scale.
The watering trough, essential for the watering of animals, became the focal point of the Square.
Later, when farming became specialized, generally only one type of crop per farm was produced. This food was sold thorugh huge markets.
The Farmers Market was abandoned and the Square became an automobile parking lot in 1949.