The Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) of Corsicana was organized in 1884 and was one of only two YMCAs in the state at that time. E. W. (Wiley) Johnson served as first president of the organization that met in a room over the First National Bank offices. Meetings later were held in the Dyers Dry Goods building at 107 South Main. In 1913, during the presidency of Frank Neal Drane, groundbreaking ceremonies were held for a building at the corner of Fifth and Twelfth streets, which was occupied by the YMCA until this structure was completed in 1968. Many of Corsicana's prominent citizens and businessmen have been members of this YMCA. In its objective to promote the physical and spiritual development of the young men of the town, the YMCA provided a swimming pool, gymnasium, jogging track, a large meeting room, and lodging. In 1934, women were first allowed to use these facilities for two days a week from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. Throughout its history, the YMCA has provided service and leadership to the city of Corsicana. Its particular concern for returning servicemen has been a source of pride for this significant organization.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986