This single-family residence, built in 1867, was at the center of officers' row. It contained a parlor, dining room, kitchen, and two bedrooms downstairs, and upstairs four bedrooms, a servant's room, and lumber room (storage room). The house remained at Fort Hays until the 1920s. It served as a residence for the principal of the normal school and was later used by the Fort Hays Branch Experiment Station.
Of the 10 houses on officers' row, two officers' quarters and seven foundations remain. In 1902 three of the houses were auctioned off and moved into Hays for use as private residences. Two of these have been relocated on their original foundations. The other one was torn down.