Oklahoma City Oil and Gas Field Discovery Well brought in December 4, 1928, approximately six miles southeast of this marker.
From such beginning, sprawling Oklahoma City Oil and Gas Field became one of world's major oil producing areas, ranking eighth in nation during first forty years of existence. In this time Field yielded 733,543,000 barrels of oil.
Discovery and development of Oklahoma City Oil Field added great stability to economy of both Oklahoma City and State of Oklahoma — providing financial incentive for cultural and industrial progress.
In tapping prolific Wilcox Producing Zone March 25, 1930, Mary Sudik No. 1 Well blew "wild" for more than 11 days thereby distinguishing itself as "most publicized oil well in world."
Rapid development of field, and problems created thereby, sparked passage of first comprehensive state legislation for conservation of oil and gas, thus providing model statutes for other states to follow.
To reach oil reserves underlying Oklahoma State Capitol building, one well was slant-drilled from across street to oil sands beneath Capitol.
Discovery Well and "Wild Mary Sudik" were both drilled by Indian Territory Illuminating Oil Co., an affiliate of Cities Service Oil Co., and by Foster Petroleum Co.