Constructed around 1808 for a Halifax County planter named Lewis Bond, this house was originally located near Scotland Neck. In 1834, William "Billy" Ruffin Smith Sr. and his wife Sarah, or "Sally" bought it. Smith, a county court justice, died in 1845, leaving an estate of 12,000 acres and 266 enslaved people.
After Smith's death, the house changed owners several times until it was given to the Historical Halifax Restoration Association in 1972. The Association moved it to Historic Halifax and gave it to the State of North Carolina. It opened to the public in 1976.
The house is an example of the tripartite houses often produced by Halifax County planters in the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Rich in decorative detail, it consists of a pedimented, two-story central section and flanking one-story wings.