Beaumont Historical MarkerThese Frisco Ponds were developed in 1885 along with the now historic wooden water tower. The water was used to fuel the steam locomotives traveling west bound on the Frisco Line that had used all their water pulling the steep grade from Piedmont, Kansas. The ponds were constructed through the use of horses and large drag strips known as "Fresnos". The horse team would travel round and round increasing the depth and circumference with each pass. The Beaumont Hotel graciously received the Frisco ponds in 2005 through the generosity of Pete Ferrell, a fourth generation rancher, whose family has owned and operated the Ferrell Ranch south of Beaumonth. In 2007, Stephen Craig restored both the upper and lower dams and concrete spillways in order to return both ponds to full capacity. Further improvements are planned for this area to include wildlife habitat. The ponds provied excellent fishing for guests of The Beaumont Hotel.
|Placed By||Beaumont Hotel|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 10:16pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 717654 N 4170188|
|Decimal Degrees||37.65308333, -96.53271667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 39.185', W 96° 31.963'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 39' 11.10" N, 96° 31' 57.78" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 11829 SE Beaumont Rd, Beaumont KS 67012, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.