Founded when Andrews County was organized, in 1910, on land owned by Robert Madison Means (b. 1878). With his father, J.S. Means, "Bob" Means began homesteading here in 1899 and organized an abstract company in 1909. When Andrews battled Shafter City to acquire county seat, Means donated lots to local cowboys so they could vote; helped win election. Married Atwood Wilder, 1910; was county clerk, 1918-1922; civic leader throughout life.
Town has grown through many gifts of real estate and funds from Means, who retired after finding oil on his land in 1934.