On February 20, 1823, the U.S. government granted the land on which this building stands to the State of Missouri "for the purpose of fixing their seat of government thereon." The land was subsequently divided into 40 town lots, the first sale of which took place in May 1823. This site, originally described as fronting "Madison and Main Streets" (Main Street was later renamed Capitol Avenue), was sold to David Sleator on July 25, 1825, for $133.00. In 1846, this building, one of Jefferson City's oldest brick buildings, was erected by Reuben Garnett, a Kentucky brick mason. On July 11, 1851, this building was sold to Calvin Gunn, first Missouri State Printer and fifth Mayor of Jefferson City. This building was purchased by the Knights of Columbus in 1908 and was part of an urban renewal project in the 1960's before it was owned by the Missouri Automobile Dealers Association from January 1971 until July 1996. On July 15, 1996, the Missouri Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association (MPCA) purchased this building which currently serves as MPCA headquarters.