This windmill was built in the 1880's on the Solari farm, located at Whipple Avenue and Old County Road in Redwood City.
It was move in the 1930's to the new family farm located on Manzanita Street near Middlefield Road and the railroad tracks, two blocks east of its present day location. It was again moved in 1990 as the property had been sold. To save the windmill from being demolished, it was disassembled and reconstructed on the grounds of the Garfield School and later disassembled again and stored at a Redwood City maintenance yard.
In May 2007, through the efforts of the City of Redwood City, Redwood City Parks and Recreation Department, and Redwood Parlor No. 66 Native Sons of the Golden West, the windmill was reassembled and refurbished at its present location in Union Cemetery, Redwood City.
The Solari Family Windmill is the last known functional windmill of its kind on the Peninsula.
George Solari, the last owner of the windmill was born in Redwood City on January 14, 1904 and lived on the family farms his entire life. He was a member of the Native Sons of the Golden West, Redwood Parlor No. 66, being initiated on July 17, 1924. He as an active member for 65 years, serving as Parlor President in 1945. George Solari passed on the Grand Parlor on High on March 29, 1998.