Settlement begun about 1680 by Dutch and English received from George II city charter as New Brunswick in 1730. This highway was an Indian trail to the falls of the Delaware and the Minisink Trail to Navesink crossed it here. It became the Great Road of colonial travel and trade. Near by was the ford. From 1686 John Inian's ferry was here. A bridge was built by the British in the Revolution. The citizens built their first bridge in 1794. Along this street were famous inns. George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and Marquis de Lafayette were guests on historic occasions. The Provincial Congress met in the White Hall January 31, to March 2, 1776. The court martial of General Charles Lee had its first five sittings there July 2 to 6, 1778. Washington was in New Brunswick June 24, 1775 and with his Army in 1776, in 1778 and in 1781. The British under Howe and Cornwallis occupied the city December 1776 to June 1777. The first house of Queen's College now Rutgers University was at the northeast corner of the third cross street.