( University of South Carolina )On this spot stood the original President's House completedin 1807. The house served as the residence of every University president from Johnathan Maxcy to William S. Currell. It was the site of a variety of University and national events including the 1909 visit of U.S. President William Howard Taft. In 1922, the house was converted into offices and in the 1930s became known as the Extension Building. A collapsed roof in 1937 prompted abandonment of the building. It was finally demolished in 1939 to make way for McKissick Library, now McKissick Museum built directly behind the old house. The front corners of the house are indicated with brass markers.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 1:13pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 497461 N 3762001|
|Decimal Degrees||33.99860000, -81.02748333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 59.916', W 81° 1.649'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 59' 54.96" N, 81° 1' 38.94" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 328-336 Bull St, Columbia SC 29208, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.