By the Grace of God, "A building about thirty feet square unpainted inside and out, with no steeple or bell without and no stove within" was erected on this place in 1675 to serve as both a community church, town hall and burial ground on land granted to the town of Woodbridge under terms of a charter dated June 1, 1669 by Charles II King of England.
On September 10, 1710 the community church was admitted to the Philadelphia Presbytery. In 1803 a new building was erected. The foundation of the present sanctuary is the original 1803 foundation. Major renovations to the 1803 building were completed in 1875 and 1972 resulting in its present appearance. In recognition of its historical significance, this church and its cemetery were entered onto the New Jersey Register of Historic Places on January 25, 2008 and onto the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2008.