— A one-room schoolhouse that became the cornerstone of a Community... —Worton Point 'Colored' Public School #2, District Number 3; a one-room schoolhouse built August 1890. This structure was documented by the University of Delaware Center for Historic and Architectural Design in June 2003. Prior to the 1930's county busing program, children from neighboring communities traveled up to six miles on foot or horse and carriage in rain or snow. Class sizes notably increased during the winter months, when male students were not able to work in the fields; daily attendance could rise to thirty pupils The last class held in this school was in 1958.The students were taught the States' required curriculum from first through sixth grades; the extent of that need was dictated by ages and numbers of pupils in attendance. Now a museum, this school is the showplace of an exhibit of photographs, artifacts and oral histories of the lives and contributions of black families of early Kent County Maryland.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, September 5th, 2014 at 6:19am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 401199 N 4350709|
|Decimal Degrees||39.30013333, -76.14583333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 18.008', W 76° 8.75'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 18' 0.48" N, 76° 8' 45.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 11984-18510 St James Newtown Rd, Worton MD 21678, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.