This African-American church was
organized ca. 1865 when four men
left Sandy Level Baptist Church,
founded before the Revolution with
both white and black members, to
form their own congregation. They
elected Rev. Joe Taylor as their
first pastor and held early services
in a brush arbor nearby.
The first permanent church here, a
log building, was replaced by a
frame church 1907-1922, during the
pastorate of Rev. T. H. McNeal. It
was covered in brick veneer in 1941,
then extensively renovated 1964-
1978, during the pastorate of Rev.
A.J. Grove, Sr. The historic church
cemetery dates to the 1880s.