This property was the site of the famous Rockport Cottages purchased in 1934 by Connie and Jack Hagar from Corsicana, Texas. Jack managed the cottages while Connie (1886-1973) pursued her passion for nature. Birds were Connie's major interest, which ultimately gained her international recognition and the nickname, "The Bird Lady from Texas."
When Connie began reporting her bird findings in Aransas county, she was looked upon with suspicion by ornithologists and serious bird watchers. However, she challenged them to come and see for themselves.
They did, and they became believers, making her the catalyst for putting Rockport and Aransas County on every naturalist's list of "must see" locations in the United States. Connie became a legend in her time.
After Connie Hagar died in 1973, the property remained undeveloped. The cottages were torn down or removed. In 1990, local residents of the Rockport area formed the FRIENDS OF CONNIE HAGAR, Inc. In 1994, through donations, grants, and gifts, the Friends purchased the property. It is a bird sanctuary, nature education center, historical site, and an area dedicated to preserving the legacy of Connie Hagar. The sanctuary was designated as site #1 on the Great Texas Birding Trail. The trail and sanctuary were dedicated by Roger Tory Peterson in 1996.