When the school purchased a cow in 1912, Ora Frost, the first student to enroll at the Toccoa Falls site, was enlisted to do the milking. At first, Evelyn Forrest joined in to help her, but soon other students volunteered for the job. The cow was milked outside - even in the rain and without shelter. Later a small cowshed was constructed to protect the Institute's first cow. The Forrest's goal was to build a school that was self-sustaining, especially when it came to the supply of food.
The land where Forrest Hall now stands was graded for a recreation field. Students played baseball at this location along with basketball. Tennis and volleyball were played on the area below where the administration building now stands. There also was a natural spring and well house on this location - the Institute's main source for water following the Haddock Inn fire. Every November at Thanksgiving, the collage celebrated Founder's Day with a large barbeque on this field. Kelly Barnes along with Dr. and Mrs. Forrest gathered the students for lunch and a time of fun.
It was on this day in 1961 that ground breaking for Forrest Hall took place. The new men's dormitory was constructed in phases or wings. After the completion of A wing, school officials immediately began plans to build B wing, which was completed in 1964. The dorm provided housing for 144 students. For the first time in the school's history, there was adequate housing for the men students. However, there remained a shortage of rooms for the women. Therefore, the rooms next to the resident supervisor's apartment, which could be easily closed off from the rest of the building, were designated for the overflow of young women.
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated by Wayne (1969) and Donna Gardner. Wayne served as the sixth president of Toccoa Falls College.