One morning after breakfast at Staley Cottage, Richard Forrest came down to what is now the center of campus. In 1914, with a brier hook and an ax, he cleared a spot for a permanent dining room and kitchen. Then everyone assembled in the opening for prayer. With the Forrest in the lead, faculty, staff, and students held hands and marched around the clearing, claiming it in the name of the Lord for a dining room. The money came one week at a time until the dining room and kitchen were built. The students did most of the labor, aided by a friend from Atlanta, who was a builder. After this building was completed work began on the second structure, which would house the chapel. It was completed in 1918. However, the upper story of classrooms and offices remained unfinished due to the lack of funds until 1920. Finally, Mrs. Forrest decided something had to be done, and she knew God had the answer. She led the students and faculty in a prayer service that concluded with a walk of faith over the unfinished flooring. A few weeks later, the Forrests received a check from Mrs. Lyman Stewart with a note attached: "For the new chapel."
"What exciting times there were," wrote Evelyn Forrest, "times of great faith."
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated by the Toccoa Falls Academy Class of 1971.