A building to be used as a print shop was constructed by the Kiwanis Club and the citizens of Toccoa on the site later occupied by Ralls Dormitory. The plan for a print shop never developed, so the building was turned into a broom factory. But the broom factory proved unsuccessful. In 1923, the building was made into a men's dormitory. fire destroyed the building in 1931.
In a sense, the depression affected Toccoa Falls Institute for good. Because of it, a C.C.C. (Civilian Conservation Corps) Camp was started in north Georgia in 1933; it was located on property leased from the school across from the Toccoa Falls Elementary School. The C.C.C. boys assisted in reforestation and built roads, paths, and firebreaks throughout the nearby woods. They laid a walk of native stone from Gate Cottage to Falls Park. In this way, they improved the appearance of the campus. The school also benefited insofar as food was concerned, for when too much was prepared for the C.C.C. boys, the cooks sent the balance to the Falls kitchen.
When this camp was disbanded, the Government turned over to the Institute lumber representing more than $4,000 in value, including their barracks. In 1934, this building was moved on campus to the location of the former broom factory and renovated into a boy's dorm. New flooring was added, the building was divided into rooms with permanent partitions erected, and the outside was weather-boarded. This structure was named Ralls Dormitory, in memory of Bill Ralls, who often traveled with Dr. Forrest as a vocal soloist. He also was Susie Ralls Mathes's brother - one of the first students enrolled at TFI. Ralls dormitory was destroyed during the floor in 1977.
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated by the Toccoa Falls Academy Classes of 1972-1974.