The 1930s were years of anxiety for much of the world. At Toccoa Falls there were moments of concern, too, but these were mingled with times of joy as the Lord continued to provide. In 1938, as a result of the continuing economic depression of the country, the National Youth Administration (N.Y.A.) - a government youth program - was launched. This program offered practical training to young people. Toccoa Falls was a chosen site for a Residential Project, which increased the Institute's enrollment. Courses such as crafts, home economics, wood and metal shop, agriculture, and radio were added.
The N.Y.A. constructed four buildings of native stone on the TFI campus where these classes were taught. These included the Shop Building, the Agricultural Building, the Radio Building, which was converted into Ring Music Hall, and the Home Economics Building, a two story building located near the falls known as Gate Cottage.
After the program ended as the county entered World War II, the radio building was located near the creek and across the road from the college cemetery, was converted first into a wood shop and then into a music building. It was named Ring Music Hall in honor of Virginia Ring, a music student, who died in 1940. Fire destroyed this building in 1958. but not before the college's music groups became well known in the local and surrounding areas.
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated in memory of Troy (1944) and in honor of Rebecca (1959). Donated by David (1968) and Michelle (Ring, HS 1964, BC 1968) Austin.