In early February, 1858, Colonel William A. Phillips, Alexander M. Campbell, and James Muir, seeking a location for a townsite, explored the banks of the Smoky Hill River. They drove the stakes to found Salina in this immediate area. This park commemorates that event. The milling industry played a significant role in the growth of Salina. This millstone is believed to be the original stone from Phillips Mill, the first steam-powered grist mill in Salina, opened in May, 1861.
A Bicentennial Project
July 4, 1976