In 1881 General William Tecumseh Sherman established at Fort Leavenworth the School of Application for Infantry and Cavalry. In 1907 the title was changed to the Army School of the Line, in 1922 to the General Service Schools, in 1929 to the Command and General Staff School, and in 1947 to the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College.
The College is the oldest of the Army's advanced schools and is the keystone of the Army's officer education system. The primary objective of the College is the preparation of selected Army officers for duty with the Army in the field in the time of war, with emphasis on the art of command. Generals Marshall, Mac Arthur, Eisenhower, Arnold, Bradley and a long list of the nation's great commanders were developed on the heights overlooking the Missouri River at Fort Leavenworth.
Founded in the day of the horse soldier, the College has gained worldwide prestige as a school of higher military education. Through June 1968, 47,853 U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force officers had completed resident courses here. From 1908 to 1968, 3,119 foreign officers from 74 different nations also completed resident courses.
Now at the threshold of the Space Age, the College continues to maintain pace with latest developments to prepare our military leaders of tomorrow.
Fort Leavenworth Kansas, established 1827