(obverse)(Continued on other side)(reverse)(Continued from other side)Located at the corner of Co. Rd. 27 and 36 and restored as a historic museum, Harris Barrett School was built in 1903 with handmade bricks made by Tuskegee Normal School (now Tuskegee University) students under the direction of Booker T. Washington. For many years, it was an education center for slave descendants. Both Harris Barrett and Tuskegee Institute played a major role in education in the Franklin community. There was an experimental farm on the west side of Baldwin Farm Road. Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver were both active in farming in Franklin, assisting farmers, both black and white. Many farms in Franklin were cleared by the Creek Indians. Well known leader Osceola was born on Red Creek, 10 miles from the Tallapoosa River. Franklin has been home to many churches for over 200 years, including, in the late 1700s and early 1800s, a Methodist Missionary Church for the Creek Indians with two cemeteries, one for white burial and another for Indian burial. James McQueen, great-grandfather of Osceola, is buried in the Indian cemetery.
Franklin School, originally constructed on this lot, was in operation as early as the 1890s teaching grades 1-11. By the mid 1930s, it was downsized to grades 1-6. There were northern and southern classrooms adjoined by a common auditorium. The school's original water source was a spring near the building, later a dug well in the front yard with a hand pump provided water. Heat was provided by a wood-burning pot belly stove. Each student brought a stick of wood every morning for use in the stove. The school closed in 1942. Its 75-80 students transferred to Tuskegee schools. After the close of the school the northern classroom was moved to its current location, converted to a community center with the rest torn down. During its use as a community center, Hank Williams Sr. often performed for dances. Upon Franklin's 1977 incorporation, the town began using the building as the Town Hall. A mile north of Town Hall lay the remnants of what is rumored the be the first school in Macon County.