In the early 1800s, "White Rock", a point well known to the Indians and early voyagers, played a significant role in defining settlements.
The Act establishing the Territory of Michigan was passed January 11, 1805, and took effect June 30th of the same year. In order to facilitate the settlement of the territory, and in accordance with the policy adopted by the United States, a treaty was made November 17, 1807. Governor William Hull, (Michigan's first governor) acting for the United States, negotiated certain rights and several small reservations with the Ottawa, Chippewa, Wyandotte, and Potawatomi Indian tribes.
The 1807 treaty included part of the state lying east of a line running along the west side of what is now Lenawee and Shiawassee counties, and from about the center of the west line of the last county, northeasterly to "White Rock, in Lake Huron."
As a result of the 1807 treaty signed in Detroit, the Anishinabeg (Indians) ceded the territory to the United States. Also, the large white rock, clearly visible directly east of here in the waters of Lake Huron, was formally named "White Rock." "White Rock" marked the northeast corner of how far north the white man could settle at that time.
Map of Michigan Treaty Boundaries