150 YearsFounded in 1863 during the Presidency of Abraham Lincoln, SJHS is the oldeest high school in Santa Clara County and second oldest in California. Its first classes were held in a 2nd floor room of J.G. Orbon's flour store, where Joseph Bowen, the founder and first teacher and principal taught classes. On January 1, 1868, SJHS was located on Santa Clara Street, where the first diplomas were awarded to high school students. In 1898, a new high school building was ready on Washington Square and declared at the time one of the finest high schools in California. On April 18, 1906, the building was destroyed by the San Francisco earthquake. After the earthquake of 1906, classes were held for two years in the Lincoln school building. On September 9, 1908, a new SJHS was dedicated on San Fernando Street, but with the growth of higher education in the early 1950s, SJHS was forced to relocate once again. The site is now San Jose State University. Since November 2, 1952, SJHS has been at this current location.
|Series||This marker is part of the E Clampus Vitus series, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series.|
|Placed By||San Jose High Class of 1972, Native Sons of the Golden West & Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850, E Clampus Vitus|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, October 14th, 2014 at 1:36am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 599974 N 4134305|
|Decimal Degrees||37.35006667, -121.87121667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 21.004', W 121° 52.273'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 21' 0.24" N, 121° 52' 16.38" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1155 E Julian St, San Jose CA 95116, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.