In the mid-19th century, the Greek Revival style dominated Southern architecture. The plain design created clarity, order, and simplicity reflecting a touch of refinement. Upper middle class farmers were able to add Greek Revival details such as columns, porticos, and transom lights to simple, already constructed houses to reflect their new wealth and status.
The Davis home was built around 1820 by Moses Ridley. Charles Davis purchased the home in 1845 and renovated it in 1850. The home was originally a two-story, four-room house with a central hallway. Mr. Davis added a two-story, portico with four columns and a pediment which imitated the Greek Revival style of Southern plantation houses. To accommodate his growing family, an ell with four rooms and a central chimney was added to the rear of the house.
The Sam Davis home remains much as the same as when Sam lived here. The floors, doors, windows, and most of the woodwork are original to the house. The nine-room home is located on a 168 farm where cotton is still grown. The house and grounds were purchased by the State of Tennessee in 1927, and opened for tours in 1930, by the Sam Davis Memorial Association.
All images from Sam Davis Memorial Association Collection.