U.S. Military RailroadIn November 1863, Federal troops occupied Kingston Springs to serve as headquarters for the supervisors of the U.S. Military Railroad Construction Corps. They oversaw the construction of this section of the Nashville and Northwestern Railroad. When it was completed, the rail line connected Nashville to the major Union depot at Johnsonville on the Tennessee River. Federal commanders impressed both free blacks and escaped slaves to build the railroad, side-by-side with Irish immigrants. Together they constructed three wooden trestles near here, as well as bunkers, blockhouses, and fortifications to guard the line. The black laborers were inducted into the 12th and 13th United States Colored Troops (USCT) in 1863 and stationed in Kingston Springs. Col. William W. Wright, Chief of Engineers, reported that about 500 men of the 13th USCT began the work on November 19, 1863, and the 12th USCT relieved them on May 10, 1864. Gen. Alvan C. Gillem commanded both units. After the construction was completed, the 13th USCT remained on guard duty along the railroad until November 30, 1864.
|Series||This marker is part of the Tennessee: Tennessee Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Tennessee Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, September 12th, 2014 at 7:13pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 489646 N 3994998|
|Decimal Degrees||36.09956667, -87.11501667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 5.974', W 87° 6.901'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 5' 58.44" N, 87° 6' 54.06" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 358 N Main St, Kingston Springs TN 37082, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.