(obverse)UcheeOne of the oldest white settlements in the Chattahoochee Valley before and after the removal of the Indians; land deeds between whites date back to 1832, the year of Russell County's founding. The name of the town comes from the Indian name of a creek which originates nearby. In its early years it was a cultural, political and religious center. Three academies were established in the area: Good Hope, Spring Grove and Andrew's Chapel. Russell County's first member of the Alabama House of Representative, Nimrod Washington Long, was among the pioneers here.
Good Hope Baptist Church, UcheeThe oldest continually active church in Russell County is located on this lot. Good Hope Church was constituted July 29, 1837. The present building, as was that of the Methodist church, was constructed in 1857. They are the oldest continually used church structures in Russell County. The builder was L.S. Johnson. The original sixteen members had the names of Jelks, Covington, Miles, Davis, Turner, Wallace, Ivey, Thomas and a slave of E.C. Thomas. Their number increased rapidly and for years the Church was the wellspring for Baptist activity in the County.