Wisconsin Heritage TourismBy 1855, Paperjack Creek and the nearby Willow River had each attracted a few settlers. A rivalry developed between settlements but was resolved in 1858 when the village was platted at the Willow River site. It is thought that the unusual name for this creek came from an early settler, a rag dealer who lived on the banks of the creek. In those times a rag dealer was called a "paperjack". The greenway served as a cow pasture through most of the 1900's and now features native plantings and trails. The 1910 photograph shows Dr. Frank Epley's trout ponds that were northwest of this site on his hobby dairy farm, The Willows.
|Placed By||The Wisconsin Department of Tourism, in part|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 12:28am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15T E 536525 N 4995373|
|Decimal Degrees||45.11088333, -92.53566667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 45° 6.653', W 92° 32.14'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||45° 6' 39.18" N, 92° 32' 8.40" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1100 Heritage Dr, New Richmond WI 54017, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.