The roots of African-American Masonry in this countrycan be traced to the period of the American Revolution,when founder Prince Hall and others established thefirst Masonic Lodge for men of color in Boston,Massachusetts. By the early 19th century organizationalgrowth had extended to the port cities of Philadelphiaand Wilmington. where residents of southern Delawarewho were engaged in maritime and other commercialoccupations were exposed to the Masonic Order. InMarch 1852, a group of 15 men from Milton area metat the home of Lott Purnell for the purpose of organizinga local Lodge. On April 1, 1853, Rising Sun Lodge #4, Free and Accepted Masons, Prince Hall Affiliation,recieved its charter. After meeting at various locationssince its organization, the Lodge formerly occupied thepresent building in 1934. Constructed as a PresbyterianChurch in the 1830s, the structure had been convertedfor use as a public school in 1876. It was used as suchuntil 1892, when it was conveyed to the trustees ofUnion Methodist Episcopal Church. Sale of the propertyto the Lodge was completed in 1939. Today, themembers of Rising Sun Lodge #4 continue to follow thetraditional Masonic precepts of Brotherhood, Charity,and Truth, in service to the community.