This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was placed on permanent display at the Treasury by direction of Secretary of the Treasury John W. Snyder. It is a duplicate of the original Liberty Bell in tone as well as in structural details and dimensions.
Identical reproductions were exhibited through the nation during the Independence Saving Bonds Drive, May 15-July 4, 1950, the Liberty Bell having been inspirational symbol for the drive. At the conclusion of the drive, Secretary Snyder, presented one of the reproductions to each state, to Alaska, to Hawaii, to Virgin Islands and to the District of Columbia for further public exhibition.
The Independence Drive was planned as a sales stimulus for the United States Saving Bonds program, with an appeal to the spirit of thrift—"Save For Your Independence"—as its slogan.
Out of the association of the Liberty Bell with the drive there developed a widespread rekindling of public interest in the story of the bell and its role in the great drama of Colonial America's struggle for freedom.
There developed, too, an enhanced consciousness of the paramount importance to Americans of preserving our freedom for all time.
In dedicating this bell in the year 1950, Secretary Snyder expressed the hope that it "will serve forever as a symbol to the people of the United States of the independence which is their priceless heritage."
Funding for purchase of the Liberty Bell reproductions here referred to were provided by six American copper companies' namely: American Smelting and Refining Company, Anaconda Copper Mining Company, Kennecott Copper Corporation, Miami Copper Company, Phelps Dodge Corporation, The American Metal Company, Limited.
The bells were cast at the foundry of the Sons of George Paccard in Annecy-Le-Vieux, Haute Savoie, France. The United States Steel Corporation's American Bridge Company donated the supports. Transportation for the Bells during the Independence drive was provided by the Ford Motor Company.