The handsome gazebo was given in loving memory of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Hand and placed in the Gardens in January, 1972. Constructed of longleaf pine, it was originally the belvedere atop the now demolished J. L. Hand home in Pelham, Georgia, the childhood home of Mrs. Cason J. Callaway, Sr. The house was designed by Gust E. Leo of Atlanta and begun in 1895, requiring four years to complete. The plans are now in the archives at Thomasville, Georgia. The wrought-iron fence around the gazebo originally served as a trim for the roof line of the house, Before it succumbed to modern progress, the home was a landmark of Pelham and southwestern Georgia, the scene of many happy occasions for the family and their friends. During her lifetime, Mrs. Florence Hollis Hand devoted equally of her time to her family and to the azalea and camelia gardens which surrounded her home.