Marshall Hall, patented as "Mistake" in 1728 by Thomas Marshall, was the estate of the Marshall family from sometime after 1728 until 1857. Thomas Marshall (1694-1759), the first owner, is buried in the family cemetery on the property.
Marshall Hall is the westernmost end of Piscataway Park, established under federal legislation to preserve those lands which provide the principal overview from the Mount Vernon estate across the Potomac River and historic Fort Washington to the north.
The mansion house dates from the earliest period. Erected as a one and one-half story brick house and enlarged c. 1760, Marshall Hall is a good example of early eighteenth century Maryland colonial architecture. Prior to the destruction of a large portion of the mansion by fire in October 1981, its features were recorded in the Maryland Historical Trust (1971) and the National Park Service (1981). The small brick outbuilding behind the mansion probably also dates from the earliest period.
Marshall Hall, c.1890 - Rearview, the view you are facing
Front of mansion house, facing river
First floor plan
[Entrance to the Marshall Hall Amusement Park (photo, circa 1900)]