La Rotonde de l'Esquimalt and Nanaimo RailwayThis imposing brick roundhouse is a particularly fine example of an industrial structure associated with the steam railway era in Canada. Built in 1913, the ten-stall roundhouse with attached machine, boiler and blacksmith's shops is part of a remarkably well-preserved railway yard that also includes a car shop and stores building. The roundhouse complex served the Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway long after the introduction of the diesel locomotive in 1949 and the railway's operational relocation to Nanaimo in the 1950s. This site is an important reminder of Canada's rich railway heritage.
|Placed By||Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 12:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10U E 471842 N 5364062|
|Decimal Degrees||48.42908333, -123.38063333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 48° 25.745', W 123° 22.838'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||48° 25' 44.70" N, 123° 22' 50.28" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 40 Sitkum Rd, Victoria BC V9A 6Z6, CA|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.