A half-mile south of this marker stood the town ofIn 1903, owners of land here in center of then-unorganized Terry County platted this town, secured a post office named for Spanish-American patriot Maximo Gomez, drilled a public water well, and induced merchants and citizens to move here. This was the first inhabited townsite in the county. Its promoters hoped it would be the county seat, but that honor went to Brownfield (4.4 mi. E) in 1904 when the county was organized. Gomez had a post office until 1926, school until 1941. A church, some businesses (.75 mi. NW), and the old cemetery retain the name.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 19th, 2014 at 2:27am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13S E 745128 N 3674482|
|Decimal Degrees||33.18145000, -102.37091667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 10.887', W 102° 22.255'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 10' 53.22" N, 102° 22' 15.30" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 583-587 Unnamed Road, Brownfield TX 79316, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.