The Bowen Plantation House is the oldest brick house in Middle Tennessee. The bricks were formed and fired from the plentiful clay on the premises. The limestone foundation was quarried from rich sources in the area.
After being sold out of the family, the Bowen house went through a series of ownerships and was used as a tenant house until approximately 1960. After that time it was abandoned due to its deplorable condition.
In 1975, the Goodlettsville American Revolution Bicentennial Commission decided to restore the home. The Bowen-Campbell House Association was formed to carry out the project that was funded with federal and state grants along with private donations. In 1977, the structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
During the restoration process, any materials salvageable were restored and reinstalled. Today, about 70% of the woodwork is original. Almost all the floorboards are original. All of the exterior doors were restored and one door still remains the original lock. The house was opened for tours in 1980.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, October 24th, 2014 at 11:05am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 527900 N 4019668|
|Decimal Degrees||36.32163333, -86.68916667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 19.298', W 86° 41.35'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 19' 17.88" N, 86° 41' 21.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 934-1556 Caldwell Dr, Goodlettsville TN 37072, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.