— A Memorial to Dr. Charles Allen Cary (1861-1935) —
Dr. Charles Cary, a native of Iowa and graduate of Iowa State in 1887, came to Auburn in 1892 and taught the first class of veterinary medicine at Alabama Polytechnic Institute. He has been called the Father of Veterinary Medicine in the South. In 1896, he helped to establish the first meat and milk inspection system in the United States. Named the first Alabama State Veterinarian in 1905, Dr. Cary became the dean of the newly formed College of Veterinary Medicine at Auburn (API) in 1907, the first in the South. Innovative campaigns to eradicate bovine tuberculosis and Texas tick fever were just a few of Dr. Cary's accomplishments, as well as work with brucellosis. He was President of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Executive Secretary of the Alabama Veterinary Medical Association, Alabama Livestock Association and United States Livestock Sanitary Association.(Continued on other side)(Side 2)(Continued from other side)
Dr. Cary's practical teaching methods included performing animal surgery under a campus shade oak to instruct his students. His Saturday clinics and summer institutes taught farmers about the prevention and treatment of animal diseases. When he was nominated to the Alabama Hall of Fame in 1957, it was stated Dr. Cary did more for Alabama livestock production and for the protection of the purity of food products than any other man of his time. Built as a memorial to Dr. Cary in 1940, Cary Hall denotes classical revival architecture with symmetrical design indicative of academic and governmental buildings of the era. Four Tuscan style columns highlight the stair portal. The recessed door consists of an Ovum trim with Scotia stone accents at the top. Stone Quoins are at the vertical recessed steps of the building.