Railroad service came to Evansburg, (Conneaut Lake), in 1859 with the establishment of a station south of town at Stoney Point, a stop on the Atlantic and Great Western Railroad. Passengers and freight were transferred to horse buggies and wagons for the three mile trip into town. Twenty-two years later in 1881, Conneaut Lake was directly connected by rail with the Meadville and Linesville Railroad. In addition to serving the ice industry, the connection allowed access to the New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio Railroads at Meadville, and the Pennsylvania and Lake Erie Railroad at Linesville.
In 1892 the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad built tracks along the canal's abandoned towpath to provide service to Conneaut Lake Park. Thousands of visitors and vacationers came by excursion trains. As many as eight sidings were required to accommodate the trains at the park. The B&LE RR once owned the park and was a prime factor in its promotion and growth. Better roads and the increased use of automobiles and trucks led to the decline of rail service. The last train went through Conneaut Lake in 1969.