Lowertown is in a geographically distinct section of the City of Lockport with such boundaries as the Erie Canal and the Niagara Escarpment.
"A village within a city," Lowertown thrived as Lockport's social, commercial and industrial center between the years of 1829 and 1950. During this period, most of the aristocracy of the city lived in this section. Among the most notable structures that were built during Lowertown's heyday, and are still standing, are the Washington Hunt House, the First Bank of Niagara County, Christ Church and the Vine Street School. Also a number of fine brick and local stone built residences exemplifying the style of that era still stand along Market Street overlooking the canal.
The Lowertown Historic District was entered on the National Register of Historic Places on June 4, 1973.