— 1824-31 ——— 1856-70 —Vessels entering Lock two, traveling northward, were approximately 19 meters above the level of the Harbour. This lock would raise them another three or four meters enabling them the make their way along the canal to Lock three. This present lock was completed in 1857. However the first lock at this site was constructed by Irish and Scottish canal workers in the late 1820. It was built totally of granite and was much larger than the present one - six meters longer and over a meter wider. The granite was obtained from the King Quarry in Purcells Cove. Horse-drawn carts transported the rough stones from the Harbour to the foot of Lake Banook where they were loaded on a barge and transported to the shore close by. The final shaping of the stones was carried out in this area by highly skilled stone masons who lived in small crude huts just to the east of the lock.
|Placed By||Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire (IODE), Robin Hood Chapter|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 2:34pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||20T E 456206 N 4949723|
|Decimal Degrees||44.69955000, -63.55276667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 44° 41.973', W 63° 33.166'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||44° 41' 58.38" N, 63° 33' 9.96" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 12 Picnic Landing, Dartmouth Nova Scotia B2X 2M1, CA|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.