In 1914 the Pullman Company built this all steel car as a 87 seat coach-smoker for the Maine Central Railroad. It started out as Maine Central No. 252, and was later renumbered 209 with seating capacity reduced to 73, with 11 seats in the smoking compartment, and 62 non-smoking seats. In 1955 the car was renumbered 2001 and converted into an Instruction Car that traveled from one end of the Maine Central Railroad to the other. At various yards and terminals employees gathered in the car, now set up as a classroom, to learn the latest in mechanical and operating rules and practices. The car included overnight accommodations for the Rules Examiner, with a kitchen, washroom and bunkroom making his life on the road that much easier. In 1985, after retirement by the Maine Central, the car was sold to Conway Scenic Railroad.