Three panels are located at the Register Cliff State Historic Site kiosk. Register Cliff State Historic Site
West of Register Cliff the landscape changes, presenting new challenges for the emigrants. Limited water and rugged terrain made travel more difficult as they journeyed across the plains of southern Wyoming toward Fort Bridger, the next major supply point - 368 miles away.
Register Cliff represents one of the best 'trail registers in the desert'. Countless emigrants inscribed their names, dates, places of origin, and messages into the sandstone cliffs. The earliest inscriptions date back to the fur traders and trappers who passed through this region in the early 1800's.
In the 1870s and 1880s, ranchers and homesteaders moved into this area. Charles A. Guernsey, for whom the town of Guernsey is named, came here in June of 1880, trailing cattle from Colorado. The Guernsey Cattle Company was established the following year with "999" (Three-Nine) as its brand.
Guernsey established his ranch at the base of Register Cliff and continued to operate it until 1926. Subsequently the Henry Frederick family settled in the area and ranching continues to this day.