This grand building was entered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Built in 1872, it was intended to be the county courthouse, but was never used for that purpose. Through the years, the building has served as a city hall and a college. The upstairs featured a stage and auditorium seating. School programs, city drama productions, and Chautauqua performances took place there. In 1905, Peter Niles Johnston provided a bequest for the city to establish a permanent library in the building.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, January 17th, 2015 at 9:01pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 345483 N 4099152|
|Decimal Degrees||37.02586667, -94.73711667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 1.552', W 94° 44.227'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 1' 33.12" N, 94° 44' 13.62" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 200-298 W 10th St, Baxter Springs KS 66713, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.