The Texas and Pacific Railway arrived December 4, 1880 and the town of Baird came to be. A burial ground was soon needed so 10 acres were reserved by E.H. Newton in 1881 and in 1887. Those 10 acres were deeded by James Evans Ross, thus the name "Ross" Cemetery. The first burial was a cowboy in April, 1881, and the oldest marked grave is of Andrew O. Raney, July, 1881. Between 1901 and 1923 additional acreage was deeded by J.E. Mayes, D.W. and Ella Teasley, and the Sanger Brothers for a total of 16.9 acres. Mrs. Mable Wylie deeded 8.5 acres in 1956 to form the "Ross Annex." 10.4 acres were added in July 1988 and August 2002 as the "Spencer Price Addition" for a cemetery total of 35.8 acres. There are many interesting markers and monuments to be noted and explored as early day railroaders, ranchers, farmers and merchants rest here alongside war heroes from the Texas Revolution on to present day battles. The cemetery is maintained by an endowment built through the longtime generosity of families whose loved ones are interred here. The endowment and all cemetery operations are supervised by directors of the Baird Cemetery Association, formed in 1975. Ross Cemetery was certified as a Texas Historical Cemetery in June 2006.