La Villita, "The Little Village", settled about 1722 as "The Town of the Alamo". Here General Martin de Perfecto Cos signed the Articles of Capitulation to Texians December 11, 1835 and General Santa Anna's artillery battery ﬁred on defenders of the Alamo in March, 1836. Later, home to German, Polish and French immigrants. Restored 1939-41 by National Youth Administration and Works Progress Administration artisans under direction of the City of San Antonio as a living memorial to the heritage of early Texas, its people, and the arts and crafts of Pan America. Designated as both a National and a City historic district.