1707-1801Originally designed in 1606, this flag was officially adopted in 1707 by England and Scotland as their royal standard at the time of the union of the thrones and parliaments of both countries. It consists of the blue background and white diagonal cross of St. Andrew, Patron Saint of Scotland, with superimposed the red cross of St. George, Patron Saint of England. The white piping is a heraldic device used to separate the blue and red portions. When the American Revolution began in 1775, many people remained loyal to the British crown. By the end of the war, most were compelled to leave the thirteen colonies. About 2,000 of a much larger number settled the townships in and around this area. They and their descendants are known as United Empire Loyalists. This royal standard was their flag.
|Placed By||Kingston and District Branch of the United Empire Loyalists’ Association of Canada with the assistance of the Ontario Heritage Foundation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, May 24th, 2015 at 6:04pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 335683 N 4879236|
|Decimal Degrees||44.04788333, -77.05113333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 44° 2.873', W 77° 3.068'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||44° 2' 52.38" N, 77° 3' 4.08" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Adolphustown, ON - Glenora, ON, Greater Napanee Ontario , CA|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.