One mile north, on the east bank of the Tallapoosa River, was located Louina, named for an Indian woman who operated a trading post. Settled in 1834, it became chief business center in Randolph County with the county's first newspaper, schools for boys and girls, Baptist and Methodist Churches, Masonic Lodge, grist mill, wool factory and cotton gin. Company of Confederate soldiers organized here August 1, 1861. Last store closed 1902 and post office moved eastward to Concord and named Viola. Among outstanding descendants from Louina's settlers was U.S. Senator J. Tom Heflin.