(1mile west)This structure is a copy of a half-dugout erected in 1898 near this location by John (1865-1944) and Maggie Weatherly (1875-1968). The High Plains offered no native stone or timber for building materials. Instead, settlers lived in dugouts, built into the thick sod. Well-insulated, the dugouts were cool in summer and warm in winter. When building supplies became available, more elegant homes were erected. The Weatherlys were pioneer ranchers and civic leaders. Borger was founded on their original homestead after oil was discovered here.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, March 27th, 2016 at 9:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 282080 N 3948503|
|Decimal Degrees||35.65635000, -101.40726667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 39.381', W 101° 24.436'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 39' 22.86" N, 101° 24' 26.16" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Gregg Dr, Borger TX 79007, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.