When early pioneer Thomas Price purchased land in the old Fish Creek community in 1874, he found an abandoned log cabin which, along with his neighbors, he repaired and designated for use as a church. Early settlers, regardless of denominational preferences, worshiped together in the cabin.Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
The Fish Creek Methodist Society was organized in 1886, and a circuit riding minister from the Throckmorton district served the little church. When the membership outgrew the cabin, services were held in a nearby school from 1893 until it burned in 1897. A new school was built, and the church met there until 1907.
The Fish Creek community became known as Murray when a new post office was established with that name. In 1907, the W.L. Chandler family donated land to the church, two miles west of the original log cabin site. The church, formerly known as the Methodist Episcopal Church South of Fish Creek, was called Chandler Chapel for a short time, then renamed Murray Methodist Church. A church building was erected, featuring many interior fixtures donated by members of the congregation. The church continues to be a vital part of the community.