John McGlashan, rancher and businessman, built an ornate two story business house on this corner in 1890. It became the home of the Ukiah Post Office and later the Ukiah Mercantile Exchange. The building was lost in the great fire of 1917. In its place now stands the Gambrel-Hawn Building, built in the mission revival style, which once again served as the home of the Ukiah Mercantile Exchange. Adjacent to the Exchange, the Ukiah Auto Supply also reopened using the original gas pump that had survived the fire. Over the years Dunn's Market, Sprouse Reitz, Sears Catalog Store, Clark's Music, and probably the most eccentric, Jerry's TV, were among the tenants. In 2003, under new ownership, Gallery of Hearts, both buildings were renovated, and in 2008 the dream of a downtown Art Center and Gallery was realized.