—426-428-430 East Mitchell —This location originally held a trio of buildings that served the community in many ways. In 1900, at the 426 address, John Karamol sold cigars, fine wines, and liquor out of what was originally called the Posen Sample Company. Over almost the next 80 years the Karamol family operated this local saloon, and at times an eatery, known as Karamol's Bar. At the 428 location were at varying times a grocery store, a meat market, two shoe repair shops, a barber shop, coffee shop, the Baby Grand Restaurant, and Gus's Coney Island. The 430 site housed a meat market, Morgan's Cigars and Barber Shop, two flower shops, Fashion City, Arlene's, CVS Drugs, Record World, and Trillium Salon. The Knights of Columbus, who originally owned the wooden building, razed it around 1955 and built the current brick building. Jerry and Diane Ellman bought Karamol's in 1977 at the 426 location. In 1978, the Ellmans purchased Gus's Coney Island at the 428 location and combined it with Karamol's into the Mitchell Street Pub and Café and the 426-428 locations from the Ellmans, thus making the establishment one of the longest surviving saloons in Petoskey and one of the oldest bars in Michigan.
|Placed By||Little Traverse Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 18th, 2016 at 5:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 660185 N 5026517|
|Decimal Degrees||45.37385000, -84.95423333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 45° 22.431', W 84° 57.254'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||45° 22' 25.86" N, 84° 57' 15.24" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 430 E Mitchell St, Petoskey MI 49770, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.